'Innovative' scheme helping Hampshire households make the switch to solar power

A NEW scheme has been set up to help Hampshire households make the switch to solar power.

To help with the transition, Eastleigh Borough Council has teamed up with several other local authorities in Hampshire for “Solar Together”, a group solar panel buying scheme.

The innovative scheme offers “high-quality” solar PV panels and battery storage and brings households together to get them at a competitive price.

The scheme is being run with independent experts in group-buying, iChoosr Ltd, who have run similar schemes elsewhere in the country delivering over 1,300 installations and 28,000 tonnes of avoided lifetime carbon emissions.

An Eastleigh Borough Council spokesperson said: "We have ambitious target to help the Borough reach carbon neutrality by 2030, as part of our Climate and Environmental Emergency Action Plan.

"Once installed, Solar Panels provide an ongoing, free, zero carbon source of electricity to power homes and/or heat water.

“If you already have solar panels installed you can also register to have battery storage added to your existing solar panels to maximise the benefits of your system, simply select this option on the website when registering.”

From 15 February, householders can register online to become part of the group for free and with no obligation.

4 Likes

@fosh90 may be interesting to you, I know you were considering adding solar panels!

Why is the council and other local authorities in this venture outsourcing to a private company? Why aren’t they simply doing this in-house without the additional cost?

1 Like

I have for a long time wanted solar panels, but cost is the issue, so if it is legitimate that you can have it for free, I will certainly be up for it!

No idea - i can only hazard a guess that its easier in this instance because the other company has the knowledge and experience.

I doubt its for free - they’ll let you join the group for free, but then you’ll have to pay for the panels. I think they’re just saying its a discount if you buy in bulk with other neighbours. That was my interpretation anyway. :slight_smile:

Meh, it will likely be costly I expect. Ah well.