Changes in Town - General thread

I noticed that recently Smith’s Butchers have closed their shop and moved to larger premises at 1 Market Street, sharing the site with’The Oven Door’ bakery. For once, it is nice to see expansion of an existing business.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwin/51652942668

This unfortunately leaves a row of 5 empty properties on Market Street:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwin/51653386694
The horrid brick block of ‘Store Twenty One’, Johnstons Dry Cleaner, CLIC Sargent, Smith’s Butchers and Sailor’s Society.

Finally, a quick plug for my photography around Eastleigh as I am interested in the way our surroundings change throughout the years. Any tip offs about any new happenings - demolitions/building/changes to road layouts/etc always gratefully recieved!
Dave Kirwin photography - Eastleigh

2 Likes

‘Powerpark’: New warehouses at Boyatt Wood industrial Estate. The old Lambert Bros (haulage) site is being flattened and new warehouses are being built on the space.

Planning App: F/21/91183
LAMBERT BROTHERS HAULAGE LTD, WOODSIDE AVENUE, EASTLEIGH, SO50 4ZR
Erection of Units 1-4 for flexible industrial use (Use Classes B2 and B8) and Unit 5 for builders’ merchant and external storage, including storage, distribution and ancillary trade counter (Sui Generis Use)

As usual, I’m following progress - album here:

Fanfare Place nears completion…
Imgur

1 Like

As does the site of the old Police Station…
Imgur

1 Like

Power Park - Framework going up.
Imgur

2 Likes

This stone has appeared at Grantham Green. Not sure why as all the locals know the name of the place! It’s rather a large lump with an ugly spill of concrete at the base - hardly the best work ever - excess budget by Parks that had to be spent? Could spend the money on persuading the PCSOs to stop by the climbing rock to ‘talk to’ the constant bunch of children there smoking more than just fags… By contrast, Fleming Park has a manky graffiti’d skateboard half-pipe to greet people and no signage, despite it being the largest green space locally.

Imgur

1 Like

Natwest is to close next year.
Imgur

Plaque on Eastleigh’s old police station.
Imgur

1 Like

An update for anyone who cares…
Eastleigh Museum remains closed.
Imgur

The old Post Office is in the first throws of it’s demolition
Imgur

Coop Funeralcare has shut after 13 years
Imgur

Stanford Estate Agents shut
Imgur

Barbers: Edwards for Men. Now shut.
Imgur

Not all bad news, a new shop is to open - VIP cuts. Hairdressers I presume, so that makes 4-5 hairdressers in Eastleigh town centre now…
Imgur

Forever tattoo (in case you weren’t sure how long you were branding yourself for…)
Imgur
Taken over the Phone Junction shop - I noted planning permission has been sort for a noodle making equipment to be installed at the rear…make of that what you will.

2 Likes