Ancient Woodland & Trees protected by a TPO destroyed in Horton Heath

Updated from Cllr Michelle Marsh: “I have been on site since 8 this morning. Wildlife Officer has been there to document damage caused.”

“Police Wildlife Officer has spoken to the Enforcement Officer this morning. He came to site to document it. CHL attended last night and have marked the position of the oil pipe. Thanks to Debbie and Phil the new owners of the Brigadier Gerrard for meeting me on site and for your offer of support. Lots of lovely residents showing support. ENC reference number is ENF/2021/191. Please help us by contacting Natural England (enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk) and any agencies that can help us to bring to justice. It is not acceptable to say I own the land and can afford the fines. Thank you to all the people backing me to bring change and protect our environment.”

1 Like

Not sure but that might be per tree? And extra for destroying nests/habitat? Hopefully lots of photos and evidence will lead to a successful criminal prosecution…

1 Like

If it goes to Crown Court the penalty is unlimited fine or even custodial sentence l believe…

1 Like

The background of the ‘community’ involved in this means they rarely, if ever, get prosecuted.

1 Like

It’s so upsetting to see what has taken place here. Do we know who sold the land to Mr Barney? It might be that they knew his intention and this can be used as further evidence in the case against him. It also raises serious questions around the legitimacy of selling ancient woodland to private individuals.

1 Like

Do you want to help?

In response to the recent destruction of ancient woodland near Horton Heath, the following is a request for community action from Cllr Michelle Marsh.

Contact Natural England

ENC reference number is ENF/2021/191. Please help us by contacting Natural England to raise this issue (enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk) and any agencies that can help us to bring justice.

Contact Secretary of State for Environment

Please can anyone wanting to help email the Secretary of State for environment: secretary.state@defra.gov.uk

I emailed asking for laws to be put in place-
We need the following:

• Enforcement powers to immediately stop developers from destroying protected trees. They frequently chop down trees with TPOs on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday as legal departments are closed and it is not possible for enforcement teams to get stop orders.
  • stricter penalties for these deliberate acts. We can currently issue a maximum fine of £20,000. We need significantly higher fines to ensure developments are not viable as a result if trees are unlawfully removed or make a prison sentence an option.
  • significant building bans on land which has been illegally cleared.

Contact Our MP

This helps increase the weight of the case for action paul.holmes.mp@parliament.uk

3 Likes

I’ve just emailed both contacts asking for urgent help to put a stop to this destruction but to also add the points into law that were mentioned above. Disgraceful behaviour to see this land ruined. Well done to everyone who has tried to do the right thing here.

4 Likes

This is a superb summarising post.

Cllr Michelle Marsh has been on site from early this morning and has posted an update on the fire which has been started 20 metres from the fuel pipeline:

The Fire department were notified by Mr Barney that he was lighting a controlled fire with water on site. As a result they would not attend when residents started calling 999. The police have been attended. We have notified the pipeline and enforcement are aware. Significant air pollution today. Mr Barney knows what he is doing when he gets the diggers in at 5am to pile the wood up! His men disappeared quickly when the police arrived. Fire is now struggling to take hold despite the cardboards, pallets and tyres they brought. If however it does take hold please call the fire department as it is now an unattended fire.

Link to the two previous planning applications for a) four properties and b) one property adjacent to the Brigadier Gerard.

Application a)

F/19/86328 - 27/08/2019
https://planning.eastleigh.gov.uk/s/papplication/a1M4J000000DtW6UAK/f1986328

Application b)

F/20/87859 - 19/05/2020
https://planning.eastleigh.gov.uk/s/papplication/a1M4J000000eNmdUAE/f2087859

There are onward links within these to the ecology report etc.

1 Like

Cllr Marsh is suggesting emailing the Environment Secretary on the wrong email address, which you think she would know as a councillor.

You need to write/email George Eustice on his Department email address or better yet, contact the local MP Paul Holmes who can also write directly.

1 Like

Adam, can you supply the URL for this excellent report, please.

Can you also please download the following documents to Eastleigh Neighbours as a permanent record,(rather than supplying just the URL (which could be removed by interested parties).

1: "This ancient woodland near the The Brigadier Gerard was recently sold here: 183, Auction: 10th March 2021. Woodland adj. to Brigadier Gerard, Botley Road, EASTLEIGH, Hampshire, SO50 7DQ - Barnard Marcus "

and 2:

Full auction details here

Many thanks,

Bruce

Copied from my Facebook post:

In the interests of accuracy, this has been described from the first as ‘Ancient Woodland’. That is a legal definition:

Its sub-category “Ancient and Semi-Natural Woodland” applies to Scorey’s Copse (only) which runs behind the Brigadier Gerard. See HM Government’s ‘MAGIC’ website https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx) [Habitats and Species - Habitats - Woodland]

The whole of the woodland belongs in the ‘Priority Habitat Inventory’ category.

Eastleigh’s page shows that the entire woodland area is subject to Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs.)
https://emaps.eastleigh.gov.uk/WebMaps/Map.aspx…

1 Like

Who knew! Do you have the correct email address to share? After a quick google I can also only find the above one.

As the trees smoulder, let’s push harder for a legally-defined Green Belt for South Hampshire. Currently, in all Hampshire, all we have is a tiny bit on the far side of the New Forest, down near New Milton.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/South_West_Hampshire_%26_South_East_Dorset_Green_Belt.svg

There is nothing in our area.

CPRE have been campaigning to get the local councils on board with the concept.

Please sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/protect-south-hampshire-s-countryside

2 Likes

I bet everyone that emails George Eustice gets the same thing in their bounce back where it will say he can only correspond with his constituents. Poor really for a Councillor to waste everyone’s time like that and direct people to the wrong information. Well intentioned but not well informed.

secretary.state@defra.gov.uk

Did Environmental Health attend to monitor what was being burnt, pollution levels etc?

Thanks @WalkerB sir, I’ve corrected the message. Lets not get political on this one though, she’s actively trying her best and I should imagine reaching him isn’t a day to day action for a local councillor. George Eustice’s profile online isn’t so helpful either as it all points to his mp one after i clicked around trying to find it.

All sorted now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure though apparently they used tyres to try get the fire going. It rained on their parade though and the fire went out.

The council have put out a statement:

and its now hit the BBC news:

Paul Holmes has provided an update:

A few Ariel photos of the site:

1 Like