Two days left to propose questions for Eastleigh North, South, and Central Hustings

I’m collecting questions to ask election candidates in the following 3 wards before the 10th. If you have any question suggestions, please post here, message me, or submit directly against the ward below.

If you’re unsure which ward you’re in, there’s a search feature on the hustings website below.

Eastleigh North:

Eastleigh South:

Eastleigh Central:

1 Like

All candidates have now been invited. :slight_smile:

Does yhat mean you have contact details for all of them? It would be great to update the democracy club database with any email addresses or social media pages they have!

Eastleigh North:

Eastleigh South:

Eastleigh Central:

On a related subject, could you ask them their favourite biscuit for the purposes of democlub data! :slight_smile:

Sadly not all, most i’ve had to go via the party generic email address - and some are private facebook’s which I don’t want to blurt out without permission. I’ve updated a couple where i’ve been provided with public email addresses. I do ask for a profile picture as part of the question collection so we should get an image.

For next time, I’ll update this flow (& privacy policy!) to include public contact details so I can use this to pass to democracy club.

I’ll make a point to ask each participant if they can provide public contact details to use. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Final proposed questions, posting here to give people a chance to object or suggest modifications so that its not just me! We’re one short for Eastleigh North currently, so open to offers!:

Eastleigh Central

• Q1 Who are you and why are you standing in this election?
  • Q2 What plans do you have for revitalising the town centre?
  • Q3 Do you agree with the parking permit proposals on Kipling Road? Do you see any benefit?
  • Q4 What level of service can residents expect from you if you are successful in the election?
  • Q5 How concerned are you about the repeated fuel leaks into Monks Brook?
  • Q6 One last call - anything you’d like to say?

We’re one over 5 - need to drop a question! Tempted to drop parking permit, as it looks like thats now moved to hampshire county council responsibility anyway.

Eastleigh North

• Q2 What level of service can residents expect from you if you are successful in the election?
  • Q3 What are your plans regarding improving the environment around Eastleigh (re-greening and air pollution)?
  • Q4 One last call - anything you’d like to say?

Eastleigh South

• Q2 What level of service can residents expect from you if you are successful in the election?
  • Q3 How concerned are you about the repeated fuel leaks into Monks Brook?
  • Q4 What can be done about unruly and potentially dangerous dogs in public places?
  • Q5 One last call - anything you’d like to say?

Let me know in the next few hours if any suggestions for modifications before I call it.

1 Like

Couldn’t workout which area I should be aiming my questions at but I would want to ask:
How are you going to pressure Hampshire County Council to tackle the poor road surfaces that are increasing daily? (I’m thinking about Derby road in particular)
How do you plan to tackle the excessive speeding that is regularly committed in the area? (Passfield Road/Leigh Road/Southampton Road)
Do you intend to help raise funding for the Eastleigh Museum to maintain at least one point of history and cultural information point in the town?
Do you support alternative means of transport and what action would you take to ensure to support it? (actual segregated cycle lanes for instance)

In brackets are my thoughts not actually part of the questions.

Edit: I’ve discovered I’m in Central Esl.

2 Likes

Hey @DaveK sorry my delayed reply! Great questions! Though unfortunately you two days late to hit the deadline, I should have come back and said! :slight_smile: . I particularly like the museum one.

The video for Central has now been published:

With more support, hoping to do these for more areas. Getting engagement and interest is a challenge though!

2 Likes

Thanks for going to the effort of putting the video together - interesting to see and hear the candidates and their replies. Pity two of the parties chose not join in too for one reason or another.

2 Likes

I think so too - the first time I did this it was kind of surreal seeing the actual people we vote for and felt we needed more of it so have continued. I love the fact it makes local politicians a little more human.

Some may have good reasons for not participating, and some may be “paper candidates”. I think a hustings helps highlight those.

Support for local elections is super super low, so if you have friends or family in the area please do share with them and help spread the word then it’ll help make it worthwhile and more likely to happen again!

Next up - Chandlers Ford, Fair Oak, and Bishopstoke. If you know anyone in these areas that have questions, feel free to point them my way, or toward:

2 Likes

I do love the introductory bar chart highlighting how many people don’t vote!

me too, I was tempted to include a “what is the borough councillor responsible for” slide, but figured it would overdose people on slides, so trimmed slides more compared to last time.