Wanted: independent candidates!

The elections aren’t far off and it would be amazing if there were a few more independent candidates to choose from. Do you know anyone who would make a good councillor, or are you interested in standing? It might be daunting to do it alone but what if there was some help and support? Are there enough people in Eastleigh willing to give it a try?

Flatpack Democracy has some interesting resources and is kickstarting a community-led independents campaign for the local elections.

https://flatpack2021.co.uk/how-to/

If anyone is interested and slightly anxious about doing it alone; i’d also suggest reaching out to the Bishopstoke Independents who I’m sure would offer help!

1 Like

Aha, thanks for the link, I wondered if they had a website!

Hi I’m Lou, one of the Independents on Eastleigh Borough Council and Bishopstoke Parish Council. If anybody would like an informal chat on standing as an independent candidate feel free to contact me, I’d be happy to chat.

3 Likes

Our website is very new! We have tried to get a website going in the past - but recently, a local resident very kindly built us one that works with limited web editing skills. All feedback very welcome - especially as we are still learning how to use this media…

3 Likes

I think it looks really good, and it’ll be nice to be able to find out more about Eastleigh’s independent councillors.

3 Likes

I don’t but I also don’t just want the wealthiest party (which has decided to prioritise the seat) winning.

2 Likes

Putting party before what’s best for Eastleigh? I would definitely like to rip parties out of local politics, which is why I’m keen to see more independent candidates :grin:

Btw. have you published your local manifesto yet?

3 Likes

I’m not surprised that a party candidate doesn’t think parties are a problem :slight_smile:

I agree that we need more diversity: a council dominated by Labour councillors would be just as bad. I also agree that being, or saying, you’re an independent doesn’t automatically make you the best candidate. It would be nice to have a choice between independent candidates.

Unfortunately the next general election probably isn’t for a few years yet. Even worse, party politics probably means we’ll be stuck with him, or his replacement if he finds an even safer seat like his predecessor.

1 Like