Key Dates for Local Elections 2021

I though I’d make a community post so everyone is aware of the local election dates:

Key dates and deadlines for this election

Key dates and deadlines for VOTERS at this election:

Thursday 25 March -
Tuesday 6 April (tbc) Poll cards issued
Monday 19 April Deadline to register to vote for this election
Monday 19 April (tbc) Postal votes issued to those who set up their postal vote by 9 March
Tuesday 20 April Deadline to apply for a postal vote for this election (5pm) or to cancel/amend an existing postal vote

Deadline to apply for a postal proxy vote for this election (5pm)
Tuesday 27 April (tbc) Deadline to apply for a regular proxy vote for this election (5pm) (NOT proxy postal)

First date to apply for emergency proxy vote (after 5pm) (conditions apply)
Tuesday 27 April Postal votes issued to those who set up their postal vote between 10 March - 20 April (5pm)
Thursday 29 April First date to issue replacement postal votes
Thursday 6 May
Polling day (7am-10pm) Deadline to issue replacement postal votes (5pm)

Deadline to apply for emergency proxy vote (5pm) (conditions apply)

Additional information for Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC) Elections

The lead authority for the Hampshire PCC election is Southampton City Council. For more information please visit Hampshire PCC Elections or phone 023 8083 3000.

1 Like

The Labour Party has created a tool you can use that’ll send you a completed postal vote registration form (no need to print it):

Once you receive the form, you can email this to elections@eastleigh.gov.uk

(Eastleigh Borough Council Polling Station)

I’ve written to Eastleigh Borough Council requesting they set-up a freepost address so residents don’t need to pay for stamps - it’s much more democratic that way.

1 Like

(no need to print it)

I’m not 100% sure what you mean or what the tool does but the rules for postal voting forms are a tad old fashioned- they require a “wet ink” signature, so make sure your application is successful if you use unproven tools.

For example https://www.onlinepostalvote.uk/ takes account of the signature rules but I checked and Eastleigh will not accept applications from it, even though some councils do.

Currently the best, free, option is to print the form (or email elections@eastleigh.gov.uk to request a form), sign it, and email a photo/scan back to them.

All a bit bonkers. Hopefully it’ll get better one day. (A freepost address would be nice too.)

1. Complete details and the form will populate
  2. Form will be sent to your home for signature
  3. Send to your local authority via post or scan and return via email

As mentioned, I’ve written to the council to request they establish a free post address so everyone can take part in the democratic process.

We need to put all tools in place to empower the community. As it stands, that’s not the case.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for clarifying, that’ll work.

Of course I wouldn’t recommend using a tool from any of the political parties but this is definitely an area that needs better tools!

In an ideal world you wouldn’t have to need one. Entire voter registration process needs reform!

2 Likes