How to encourage voters?

I love the idea of a neutral local politics 101 course, something hopefully all parties could get behind. Finding people to run such a thing would be challenging as anyone who becomes politically aware instantly is accused of bias. :slight_smile:

I also think some sort of agreed guidance and operating ‘pact’ between candidates could help if implemented by an impartial body. i.e. “Don’t attack each-other”, “Don’t fuel hate”, “Don’t lie”, “Don’t manipulate and mislead”, “be responsive”, “be open to public debate”. The impartial body could then put up guidance containing all the candidates they publicly endorse?

1 Like

Agree, I think this platform offers a much superior alternative for serious debate. Facebook focusses on encouraging users to comment, and constant engagement. This software mainly focuses on helping the transparent discussion, I think the reader to writer ratio on here is like 1000:1, whereas facebook it is much lower. :slight_smile:

Wowsers, welcome aboard @Unicornwonders! Brilliant first post, loved almost everything you said! “I could go on…” - don’t let us stop you - keep going!!

Only issue I could see would be on the goodiebags and free pens - candidates aren’t rich! I’m sure some are broke and have no money to fund such things. That and waste of course. :slight_smile: It also gives more bias towards party politics than individuals with no finance. Agree though it would probably get people involved!

As to election build up - great idea! I’m sure candidates would love that build up to be made… the thing is its on us the community to help generate that build up. Candidates by default are isolated and on their own. Together, we could make something happen that candidates could get behind?

1 Like

Councillors doing their area is a really good idea, i really like that and they could get support from small local businesses to come along and set up a stall or something make a day of it. Have some activities for everyone to join and show their councillors can have some fun to… Who doesnt love a game of limbo or giant snakes and ladders or something?! :sweat_smile:

I have seen some replies to what i was suggesting dazza please don’t think what i am replying is just aimed at you but slowly learning my way through how this all works. So can’t remember who said what and when :sweat_smile:

The freebie idea was just an idea out the hat but who’s to say the council couldn’t help with it, you could have EBC on them could mean people may look at it ‘oh how did i get this again? Oh it was the day we met a local Councillor at that even they’d did, they made an impact on me’

We all have to remember not everyone online and like i said the old knock a door ask residents what would they like to see? What changes would they like made? Or catching up with residents on how things have been changed?

Obviously… All being covid friendly. Councillors really need to be getting out their not just when people need something or to get their face in the hampshire chronicle…

The more councillors get involved the better chance of an impact and potential gain so long as they keep their promise and or make changes where possible.

You could do a survey asking peopls do you know who your councillor is? What they do? Will people compare them to mps and say are they not like MPs and lie?

I know myself when i was younger before i really understood what i was voting for and im talking 18/19 my thought was i dont see them, i dont know what they do, i dont see any changes whats the point they all lie. But as I got older and took it a bit more seriously and understanding the differences and what impact i could be making and then i started a family and thats when i took ALOT more interest in politics and jargon because i wasnt just thinking for myself now i was thinking for my childrens future.

I hope i havent missed anything? And hope i havent rambled to much :sweat_smile: just get carried away.

3 Likes

That does seem to happen a lot round here :slight_smile:

I’m sure there are neutral groups around who could put on some sort of workshop/course/something for prospective candidates but no idea what that would cost. Never got as far as investigating seriously due to life etc.

As for a pact…

https://fairplaypledge.co.uk/

Pretty sure the other issue is candidates aren’t allowed to give out gifts. The Eastleigh Politics 101 thing on the other hand would obviously need top tier swag!

@Unicornwonders definitely think more opportunities to see councillors/candidates as ordinary people (away from elections campaigns!) would be really valuable.

2 Likes

I think, given the narrative pushed locally to vote out the Lib Dem’s, it’s easy to look at the turnout and be disappointed. However, I do think Covid had an influence on discouraging voting on the day. Going forward, I am concerned at the government’s attempt to suppress votes, particularly for the younger demographic, by introducing first time voting photo ID. This may negate any attempts to increase voting amongst younger and first time voters. Perhaps one answer might be in the lead up to elections there could be neutrally advertised ‘drop in’ days where candidates are available in one location in each area for voters to meet them and ask questions. This could be informal as to not intimidate.

3 Likes

We tried to do a hustings but failed sadly - next time we shall be more prepared in the hope this will help!!

1 Like

I think something less formal than a hustings would be far more appealing to people; particularly those who struggle to feel comfortable in a formal political environment.

3 Likes

I suggested town hall style debates.
Much less formal!

Deffo need a hustings as well though.

Something less formal sounds like a good idea. I wonder if doing something as part of/alongside other more fun/interesting/non-political events might help as well, instead of expecting anyone to make a special effort for politics. Can’t actually think of any examples- my brain has given up for the night already!

1 Like

I think an “Eastleigh TED talks” would be interesting…

…could be hosted at the Point or something…

…each of us present on a different theme on a different night (or nights if some presenters are popular!)…

…could be any theme, national or local…

…make it interactive…/Q&A at the end…

…then drinks…

It’s an idea anyway.

2 Likes

Love how this ends with drinks Alex :joy:

However I feel the audience would be those who want to know about politics.

We need to encourage those to engage who don’t feel politics affects them.

circa 30% turnout for local elections means we have thousands of people not engaged and who I feel we need to target to vote.

Does anyone have the population numbers at hand for each ward and the numbers who did not vote? Additionally surely we know what households did not vote so we need to ask them why…

Community engagement is what I feel is needed

4 Likes

Sorry Josh - even town hall debates I fear are too formal for the residents of eastleigh that don’t vote…

1 Like

I think a big part of the lack of engagement is that some parties benefit off of it. Town Hall debates bring the candidates to the people and not via a leaftlet. I think something new would also boost the level of interest.

I’m not convinced by this. I think it’s simpler - no one understands what a councillor does. Also does anyone have the demographics detail on the current voters? I bet they are largely over 40…

3 Likes

Agree with @Melanie_Tellwright on it being simpler. I do think many people still won’t attend a town hall. (Boring! - however, dunk the candidate could be a winner!). Silly things I’ve heard which don’t make logical sense:

• “they’re are all in it for themselves”
  • “they’re in it for the money”
  • “they don’t care what we think”

All these seem a bit crazy since most elected people I know did it because they care and a sense of duty! (I said most…!), and definitely not for the cash as it’s pitiful unless you go for the full career!

Perhaps a community sponsored politically neutral educational info-pack may help?

Its aim:

• to educate on the levels of gov (parish, borough, county, central).
  • signpost places for discussion and info sharing.
  • signpost how to get involved (think you can do better? What is a councillor? How to become a councillor?).
  • encourage political engagement and voting!
  • signpost some other ideas suggested here if they have hatched by then! :joy:
3 Likes

Another option is to make “accountability” posts wherever you see a potential issue, like mine.

https://eastleigh.online/t/ebc-attendance-record-2021-council

Cllr House has praised it, and also indicated that some Cllrs are actually shielding due to the pandemic, so cannot do in-person meetings

1 Like

According to Cllr House, they can’t have them due to underlying health conditions. Obviously he can’t divulge more due to privacy

I think the 580+ strong comment thread on @TParkEastleighN 's Road petition really emphasises why we need to encourage voters.

Many comments have been attacking the LDs/EBC or saying there’s already a plan when meanwhile it has absolutely nothing to do with EBC, it’s just a case of the LDs asking HCC “please sir, can we have some more” (to quote Oliver).

Sigh.

Whenever someone mentions that Local = National election reflection, mention this -

"Somehow Eastleigh Lib Dems are always unscathed by their national comrades’ misgivings.

2010 - Nick Clegg does a “deal with the devil” in Cameron. LDs still run EBC

2019 - after Eastleigh to Leave the EU, and having Swinson state that she’ll do whatever it takes to get back in, Lib Dems still run Council…

It cannot be all about the national picture…"

1 Like