House Confirms - Hanns Way Car Park to make way for housing

In response to the rumours circling around the Eastleigh social mediawebs following a parking attendant “tip off”, Cllr House was asked directly if EBC had really sold the Car Park on Hanns Way (opposite Pizza Hut).

This was his reply

“This site was previously developed. The current temporary car park will be replaced with housing, as always planned.”

It appears that Vivid have indeed been given some form of a green light to build housing on the site

1 Like

Bit of an odd one this… a temporary car park spanning 20 years is good going for any car park. Also frequently used by many.

And given the push to possibly pedestrianised Hjgh and Market, the car park is arguably one of the closer ones (other than Swan Centre, of course).

Still, at least it’s a brownfield site.

Thoughts @Josh_Constable, @ACulley , @LisaCrosher (I would tag the EBC Central Conservative rep but I don’t know who that is, so you’re closest), @IndyCentral1

Would also be good if the LDs could give any further background to the decision - so tagging @Alexbourne and @TParkEastleighN (I don’t think Cllrs Doguie or Irish are here)

Local borough councillors are rarely involved in development decisions on council land. That is what the cabinet and officers do. Local Councillors will be part of the planning decision and will look at an application regardless of who is applying- the decision will then be made on planning guidelines. As chair of ELAC I will get a heads up if schemes are nearing the permission stage. I have heard nothing about this site recently. 18 months ago the LAC looked at a scheme and fed back but it was withdrawn. I have subsequently asked again it’s the very early stages and so I have not been involved and know no details. The land is earmarked for development as it used to be a building. More economical to knock an old building down and use as a car park until permission is granted. Anyone who knows Portsmouth will know they did the same with the Tricorn Centre - knocked it down and put temporary car park there that’s now been there for years. The are more than enough peking places in the Town centre.

Let’s try and get this back on track.

Do you both (@Alexbourne and @Sam4eastleigh ) agree or disagree with the proposed housing replacing Hanns Way?

I know it’s not fully been fleshed out yet, so we can only speak around the concept of housing in that location.

Eastleigh will lose 16 standard spaces and 3 disabled spaces in quite a busy location. Also, i can only imagine it being more of a block of flats given the size of the area, which, considering the proximity to the electrical? area just north of it, is a bit concerning.

2 Likes

Full details - just like all planning permissions will appear on the council website when they are ready to be published.

No because I don’t have access and they haven’t been completed.

No and I’m not going to circumvent the process and get people worrying about things which may not come to pass. Once the plans have been draw up and finalised for discussion and feedback they will be placed on the planning portal for everyone to see. Then in due course they will come to ELAC where they will discussed debated and anyone can make representations at the meeting.

Here’s what I’m kinda battling with about this whole thing (note i do not expect a reply, this is just me sounding off)

Someone has advised a parking attendant that the car park is to become Vivid housing. This implies it is a done deal, and effectively puts the attendant out of work (or relocated to a different car park).
The parking attendant feels so strongly about this, and has then informed a resident, who has then posted on Eastleigh Neighbours

Yet ELAC have no idea and are saying that it is going to be done, but we’ve not even planned for it yet.

So either one of the parties in the message chain is actually a Vivid representative (and just trying to do a “scream test” ) or someone’s not telling ELAC everything.

Confusion reigns

2 Likes

I tried to wait an hour between my 2 posts @afdy , I really did :laughing:

In all honesty, I don’t know how it can be down to Alex alone. Only reason I tagged Mr Bourne is he’s one of the more active LDs on here (the other being Tanya).

Cllr House may know more, but he’s not here at this time. Will await the outcome of your FoI, just concerned it may go the way of being deemed “not FoI worthy”

3 Likes

You are trying to get involved and stir things up too early in the process. When the design team have finalised their plans they will be put in the public domain for all to see. So yes if you submit an FOI now I would deem that to be a waste of officers time and council tax payers money.especially at a time when the councils resources are stretched dealing with the ping demic.

Be patient - see what is being proposed and then by all means comment.

I’m sorry you don’t understand process the plan at the moment could be a rectangle with sqaure windows - people putting this together will be professionals and know that they are doing. Once they have a plan it will be consulted upon.

The residents will have a full chance to be engaged !!! That’s the process - make a plan then consult on it. An FOI on this is a waste of resources and tax payers money !!!

Wow what a thread! :rofl: Sorry for late response Darren.

Again will wait for full details before making full comment for obvious reasons.

Looking at the current comments it’s about as clear as mud what will actually happen. Agree with Sam’s comments asking for details of initial proposals etc to be made public. No idea why Councillors operate under such a cloak and dagger approach on any such project, but to be expected.

Also before any Councillor accuses me of not understanding the process, like they have Sam above, and because they’ve accused me of this before in similar consultations: There is no legal precedent in either planning Law or the council constitution that says Councillors can’t publicly discuss currently available plans or their own personal preferences/thoughts. If the Lib-Dems had a housing policy or development policy locally we wouldn’t have to stab in the dark. Seriously, I know thats mad but just check their website/leaflets for proof of this absence of policy. Tories are exactly the same.

On my thoughts currently based on comments above: Eastleigh Labour’s policy is clear on such matters; in principle we would support a council housing development on such a site, especially if cllr House’s response is correct and this site was previously demarcated for housing. Personally and in line with our published policy, I have concerns about this site being given to VIVID. I’ve heard troubling things from current residents about their experiences with VIVID and strongly believe the privatisation of borough owned housing stock was a tragic mistake that has contributed in a large part to our current financial, and developmental situation as a borough.

Eastleigh Labour will make a formal comment and take a formal position when full details are available. So would like some nuance from any reader from an opposition party who thinks to try and run with this comment outside of its clear intention in the context of this full post.

Planning App: F/22/92349
Planning Link
Replacing the car park with three storey building consisting of 4no. one-bedroom and 2no. two-bedroom apartments with ancillary bin and cycle storage, landscaping and parking.

1 Like