Help write a manifesto!

Done, I think! Couple of overly complicated hoops to jump through there to get the masses on board! :wink:

1 Like

It definitely needs to be simpler, and that one is top of my list of things to try and fix!

If anyone is interested in the gory detailsā€¦ Add CLA accepted flag to database by jt-nti Ā· Pull Request #1013 Ā· openpolitics/groupthink Ā· GitHub

1 Like

@Josh_Constable To me it would make sense for labour to get more actively involved in this ā€˜open local manifesto for Eastleighā€™ idea for a few reasons:

• It gets labours local manifesto ideas publicised more widely, which anyone else (non traditional labour supporters) can get behind.
  • Even if labour doesnā€™t get in, Labour can contribute to making Eastleigh better as other people can help push for the good ideas that were raised.
  • Labour should consider adopting all manifesto ideas in the open source Eastleigh manifesto - if it does, it would be a great stake in the ground for a future ā€˜Open Eastleighā€™ where we all work together on common ideas in an open debatable way, not just internally within a party but externally with voters too.
  • Its great advertising for Labour also to support more modern approaches to local democracy. :slight_smile:
  • I like it as anyone can get involved, regardless of party affiliation.

It would be fantastic if Labour, and other parties/candidates in Eastleigh, made use of the open Manifesto, but I would be surprised if anyone would want to campaign for all the ideas in it. Picking the ideas that line up best with each party/candidatesā€™ values, would make sense. Perhaps prioritising those with the biggest potential impact, or which are the most deliverable.

Of course everyone is welcome to get involved! (Looks like itā€™ll have two policies in the next few days! Might submit one of my own eventually!)

thank you. should i be submitting ideas to both?

sorry dont really understand all the political stuff. are you labour?

Yes Iā€™m Labour Jon. Iā€™m taking the lead on our local manifesto this year. Would be great to have your views included!

1 Like

@JonDramas it would be great to share your ideas wherever people might see them. A social media post or forum post here is the simplest, on the party neutral Eastleigh Manifesto would be great (Iā€™m obviously biased there!), and Iā€™m sure @Josh_Constable and Labour would be interested as well.

@Sam4eastleigh it was just a suggestion of how parties or candidates might decide which policies to use from the Eastleigh Manifesto. Obviously it would be up to them to decide what they believe is deliverable.

Iā€™m hoping that the Eastleigh Manifesto will be fairly aspirational, and perhaps include bigger ideas that might not immediately look realistic. Itā€™s definitely not intended to be party political though.

If anyone is interested thereā€™s a new (cycling related) proposal open on the Eastleigh Manifesto! Comments always welcome, as well as new proposals!!

https://groupthink.openeastleigh.uk/proposals/37

1 Like

Just spotted this which is an advanced version of @afdyā€™s sponsor a street light idea!

https://cities-today.com/german-city-lets-residents-control-the-streetlights/

(Unfortunately the Eastleigh Manifesto will be taking a break soon due to the company that provides the services it runs on ending their free tier.)

1 Like

Iā€™ve just taken the Eastleigh Manifesto offline now that the free service it runs on is being discontinued. The manifesto so far is still available and hopefully one day Iā€™ll have time to resurrect and improve it. Thanks to everyone who participated!