EBC Attendance Record - 2021 Council

The main post will be a rolling count of meetings that Councillors have missed. Subsequent comments will explain the attendance of every meeting (along with other opinions about the attendance)

The Lib Dems do have a large majority in Council, so this may appear to be an(other) anti-LD post. I can reassure you that it is not

(note +, ` and ^ are known apologies, which are clarified after the table)

Rolling Tally - 2021 Meetings Missed

Name Ward Party Total Count Missed Percentage Missed
Jane Rich Bursledon and Hound North Lib Dem 4 100
Paul Bicknell + Eastleigh South Lib Dem 3 75
Jephthe Doguie ` Eastleigh Central Lib Dem 3 75
Michelle Marsh ^ Fair Oak & Horton Heath Lib Dem 3 75
Rob Rushton Fair Oak & Horton Heath Lib Dem 3 75
Daniel Clarke Eastleigh North Lib Dem 2 50
David Pragnell Chandlers Ford Lib Dem 2 50
Sara Tyson-Payne Eastleigh North Independent 2 50
Margaret Allingham Hedge End South Lib Dem 1 25
Tim Bearder West End South Lib Dem 1 25
Alan Broadhurst Chandlers Ford Lib Dem 1 25
Anne Buckley Hiltingbury Lib Dem 1 25
James Duguid Hiltingbury Lib Dem 1 25
Cynthia Garton Hedge End South Lib Dem 1 25
Richard Gomer West End North Lib Dem 1 25
Lucy Jurd Hedge End North Lib Dem 1 25
Dave Kinloch Botley Lib Dem 1 25
Rupert Kyrle Botley Lib Dem 1 25
Adam Manning Hamble and Netley Lib Dem 1 25

Last Updated - 27 Feb 2022, after the FC meeting on 24 February 2022 (last one before elections).

Full Council meetings held:
20 May 2021 - Annual General Meeting
27 May 2021
11 November 2021
24 February 2022

Known apologies:

• Cllr Bicknell missed the AGM due to work commitments, and all other apologies from him are due to the same (as its shift work)
    ^ Cllr Marsh missed the AGM due to work commitments and the Council meeting on 27th May due to family commitments.
    ` Cllr Doguie vacated his seat, triggering a by-Election which was won by Cllr Bhavin Dedhia (LD)
3 Likes

Councillors are people too, itā€™s okay if they miss the odd meeting. But in some cases, like Rob Rushton, Councillors appear to go AWOL and no explanation is ever made to the public. @DazzaRPD would be great if you could keep this up to date rolling forward.

1 Like

That is the plan, hence the ā€œrolling Tally until the next electionsā€. May take it beyond, weā€™ll see how it goes.

It is also a wiki page, so others can also help .
Thanks for the support .

3 Likes

I guess, much like in Paul Bicknellā€™s case, sometimes work gets in the way. Keith House commented on FB to say that some Cllrs may be shielding due to not having the vaccine/being able to receive a vaccine.

So those could be 2 reasons

1 Like

Cllr Marsh has indicated she is shielding, and also had prior work commitments

Iā€™m afraid I have not and cannot find any reference. Kindly fill me in?

Quote from @Lou elsewhere:

Eastleigh Borough Council has decided Councillors who watch ā€˜Full Councilā€™ on YouTube Thursday can be marked as in attendance, despite not voting or participating?! Donā€™t get me wrong not having 2metres between everyone is crazy & I understand people being worried, but no rollcall or way to prove seems laughable. At least when it was teams a roll call and each Councillor could be shown. Councils really need the ability to host virtual meetings officially or hybrid meetings. This is not good for democracy.

Seems like Eastleigh Borough Council is working around having an accurate attendance record!

1 Like

Disappointed that thereā€™s no Facebook post detailing the same. Seeing as Mr House doesnā€™t believe in this forumā€¦ sigh

@afdy and @Sam4eastleigh , ignore previous. I see it now, and the response from @TParkEastleighN says ā€œitā€™s not us, its the team in Blueā€ :-

"This current Tory government made this terrible decision, the Local Government Association then challenged it in the High Court but sadly the judges ruled it wasnā€™t able to make a decision, saying it was a job for Parliament.

This is a highly hypocritical move by the government as theyā€™re still allowing some MPs to attend Commons sessions virtually.

Councillors across the country who for health reasons are having to shield still are being denied the ability to properly represent their residents.

I would hope that Paul Holmes MP will strongly lobby for this decision to be reversed, but that would mean going against his own party, something heā€™s not yet doneā€¦not even to secure continuation of Free School Meals in the Commons vote last October.

LocalGov.co.uk - Your authority on UK local government - Virtual council meeting challenge dismissed by High Court"

So if I understand correctly, Westminster has outlawed online meetings from May 6th, which is ā€œwhy EBC must take this actionā€ā€¦

So Councillors can have a YouTube meeting instead, and write comments that may never be read or may be ā€œzoombombedā€ and lost or similar.

Remind me, where is YouTube again?

The council officers would have made the decisions on the specifics, probably after taking advice from the Local Government Association and/or legal advice.

Stop trying to dress this up as a political decision by the Lib Dems.

The council officers would have made the decisions on the specifics, probably after taking advice from the Local Government Association and/or legal advice.

Nothing political about it whatsoever to say otherwise is cynical point scoring at its worst.

@TParkEastleighN Iā€™m sorry, are you kidding? ā€œNothing political about itā€. This is like the definition of politics isnā€™t it?

The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.

This decision was taken by the local Lib Dem led government @ Eastleigh Borough Council?

Are you suggesting it is right that Eastleigh Borough Council consider an elected councillor as ā€œpresentā€ at a meeting based on them having said they have watched a YouTube video?

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how this goes. If 9 Councillors didnā€™t attend the AGM (and only 2 had prior commitments) how many will actually want to go out in this lovely wet weather and go in?

Iā€™ll Tally it regardless. Apparently its going to be made explicit that the Councillors were there via YT (and so automatically excluded from voting etc., but thatā€™s a separate issue). So it might just mean a slight tweak to the table if itā€™s as clear as that.

Thanks for the clarity @afdy, @Sam4eastleigh and @TParkEastleighN , and @Lou for the original heads up

1 Like

Top work on keeping this tally @DazzaRPD, Iā€™m interested to see how it develops. :slight_smile:

I did check with Officers that it was correct that councillors watching remotely would be recorded as ā€˜in attendanceā€™. The problem I have with this is that they can not participate or be formally signed in as present on YouTube. I fully understand councillors should feel safeā€¦I am highly nervous having found out they canā€™t provide us with the 2m socially distance seating, especially with far more than 6 people in the room. However, that is a broader debate with government. I also do not mind if people can genuinely not attend. But, I do not understand why people are not just giving their apologies.

2 Likes

The arrangements that were sent out yesterday have now been clarified. Councillors that are unable to physically attend the Council meeting will be recorded as having sent apologies (provided they send them!). The information sent out yesterday was sent in error. Good to get this corrected and all councillors have been advised.

I have sent my apology for the meeting tomorrow as my child will be in hospital for surgery so that is where I will be. I have been sent a link so I can watch the meeting but will not be attending.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @TParkEastleighN, that sounds much more acceptable than the answer yesterday. :slight_smile:

This wasnā€™t a decision by the LibDems, & no, public pressure had nothing to do with this. Nor was there any u-turn.

Council officers issued the guidance in error, this was queried by several councillors across party lines. And the correct guidance was issued the next day.