Eastleigh Election Hustings

@Alexbourne - In fairness, @Josh_Constable 's comment was not purely about Hustings.

I think it’s more to do with their latest leaflet - https://eastleigh.online/t/2021-eastleigh-lib-dems-leaflet-15-wayne-irish-tanya-park/

Reason I say this is his comment here was made after he read / commented on the leaflet post

Forgive me, but what does his age have to do with anything? I know some LD Cllrs were unhappy about other Cllr ages dueing the Airport expansion vote, but I don’t see the relevance here in this topic

2 Likes

Alex I think you need to re-read the thread. I literally asked Tanya to send someone else and she refused to reply. Forgive me but it’s not our job to find a substitute when a Lib-Dem candidate won’t show up…

1 Like

Firstly, due to my illness I have also been in this position, unlike Wayne I made that information public as soon as it impacted my ability to campaign. Why didn’t Wayne do the same? I of course wish him a speedy recovery.

Secondly you’re pushing forward an ageist stereotype there Alex… There is no reason someones age means they can’t use online forums… They only thing I am criticising Wayne for is allowing lies to go out on his leaflets, something I believed he wouldn’t do before this contest.

To be honest here, I’m no longer willing to engage with your team in good faith and I would warn the public the same. Your party has overseen a dirty campaign and refused to engage with the prospect of debates on numerous occasions over numerous years. For you to now come onto this thread, clearly without having read the comments to try and spin my comments in any other way than that which they were clearly written is further proof of the desperation and dirty tactics your party and its representatives have continuously employed, because you seem to have a pathological fear of discussing the political issues so instead you make things up!

I am personally so disappointed as someone who has always argued that we should engage each other in good faith and tried to be civil both in and out of election time. I am certain that it is because of the actions of your party that we see so many people lose trust in politics and politicians. I repeat my earlier comments about your actions being embarrassing for an incumbent party and that you deserve nothing less than a resounding defeat for your actions in this campaign.

2 Likes

This post is far from civil Josh and reflects the tone from Eastleigh Labour Party.

I leave it up to members of the public, who will read this thread and others Alex to judge. Yet again; you flat out refuse to engage with the very real issues I’ve raised in my above post… What a state for our local democracy to be in :disappointed:

1 Like

Hi Alex - sorry the hustings I was going to host was Eastleigh North so not in Wayne’s area. If it had have been I would have personally got hold of him as I know he isn’t active on social media and I am aware of his recent medical situation. I know Wayne would have probably been happy to participate in a hustings for central had he been asked :blush:

1 Like

I’ve been wondering how we could increase the chances of making a hustings happen next time. Maybe getting a few dates pencilled in before nominations have even closed would help. Perhaps one date for a representative from each party regardless of ward to open things up a bit, although not sure how that would work for independent candidates. Then another date for the ward with the most candidates as long as a majority agree to take part, and another for the first ward where all candidates agree to participate. Or a variation of that kind of thing. Assuming @Melanie_Tellwright or someone else is up for hosting something next time that is!

Next election is only a year away, unless they push it back cos of the pandemic.

1 Like

I’d be happy for the Bishy-Independents to attend and send a rep. Not sure about how we fairly give platforms to any other’s non grouped though. Nothing to stop ward level town-hall debates. (providing its COVID secure next year!) But I think there being a main inter-party debate would be a good idea, and no excuses for not sending anyone…

1 Like

You have got to be kidding me… This is ridiculous!

I am up for hosting this, just want all parties to engage - we all know who did…and who didn’t. How is it the one who didn’t engage got in is beyond me.

By-election hustings… anybody up for it?

Already spoken to @jtonline some weeks ago about this. Likely its too late to organise now but I’d really encourage James, @afdy and @Melanie_Tellwright to organise one for May’s locals.

I was asked to do one this time, however as the by election is in my ward I didn’t feel it appropriate.
Happy to do one in May for a different ward though.

3 Likes

Thats fair, I think the easiest way to guarantee a hustings is to hold a Borough wide one in May and invite every party contesting May’s elections to attend. That way no excuses for any parties deciding not to attend.

But up to organisers to decide format, just a suggestion!

3 Likes

I’m in and look forward to it!!! Unsure why it would be too late now to organise for this by-election though… Its just a matter of somebody not connected to any of the candidates or living in ward with a vote as Mel said to offer to host a Zoom or Teams meeting and send out a link to the meeting here which we can then share via our own channels, surely? If the last 2 years have taught us anything its that nothing is impossible with tech behind us. The week of the election seems like a perfect opportunity to me and, more importantly, a fantastic opportunity for the electorate to engage. Just a suggestion…I’m open to other ideas…

I agree with everything you say earlier in this thread ahead of last May’s election so am encouraged and hopeful you will work with me to get a hustings organised before next Thursday even though you have already stated previously you don’t think there is enough time now… Serious candidates will pull out all the stops to make this happen for the benefit of our electorate so I look forward to hearing from you ASAP with input as to how we can make this happen.

Can somebody who is more tech savvy than me tag the other candidates please so that they are aware? Thanks in advance.

Really you should be asking @jtonline @afdy and @Melanie_Tellwright as politically non aligned people who have expressed an interest. As I said I discussed getting a hustings organised several weeks ago but without an independent moderator, or host location/call host its simply not possible.

I’ll attend any hustings as I’ve offered to do for the last 5 years but it would be inappropriate for any candidate or party to arrange a hustings themselves.

At no time have I suggested a candidate or party host this or any other hustings (see above)… I just think it is entirely possible, even at this late stage, to find an independent volunteer either on this site or elsewhere to agree to host such an important meeting so that our electorate can make a truly informed decision in the privacy of the polling booth.

We all understand that the public’s perception of us is at an all time low, hence my putting a call out for an independent volunteer not connected in any way to us personally or by party allegiance.

It really does surprise me that you and the other candidates haven’t just pulled out all the stops to make this happen. You say you “asked” several weeks ago but have any of you done anything since?

I can only speak for me being late to the party due to tech issues on here and being a bit of a tech luddite… but I am a great believer in putting in the effort to make things happen and get things done, its why i’m standing.

I am hopeful somebody will put their head above the parapet and volunteer… lets wait and see before throwing in the towel, shall we?

Would you be so kind as to tag the other candidates please, I can’t work out how to do it… thanks in advance.