Eastleigh Election Hustings

Fantastic news! @afdy let me know when you have all the details (sign up link?) and I’ll add it to https://elections.openeastleigh.uk/ (and Who Can I Vote For if I can).

Sorry I have only just seen this. I am not available on Tuesday 4th. Can do any day except this day.

Hi everyone,

Trying to accommodate everyone at short notice is proving a challenge. So therefore this is a final poll for the date of the hustings and we will go with the majority vote…

• Thursday 29th
  • Friday 30th
  • Tuesday 4th

0 voters

2 Likes

What about a date at the weekend or on the Bank Holiday Monday? Presume people don’t have work commitments then?

I’m not aversed to allowing substitutes if candidates can’t make it. Ultimately though if the majority of candidates can’t do it, I doubt it remains viable sadly.

Apologies but this weekend I have commitments which is why I have only suggested the above.

@TParkEastleighN @John_Edwards not sure if you have seen this thread?

Sadly I have zero availability between now and May 6th. Sorry.

Can the local party not send someone as a replacement Tanya?

2 Likes

If it is the date I can’t do (4th May) then I will ask for a replacement to attend on my behalf. Although I am really keen to attend myself!

Hey Folks,

I’ve caught up with @Melanie_Tellwright and we both feel sad to report that there is no obvious consensus on dates so we feel we should postpone until next year. Both of us were hopeful despite the late notice that we’d find an agreeable date before the election but we sadly failed.

Going forward without one of the 3 most engaged candidates in Eastleigh North we feel would be unfair to one of the other 3, given the late notice.

We’d like to thank @ACulley, @Josh_Constable, and @LisaCrosher for being so keen to make this happen, and so open and responding to questions here! Very refreshing. :slight_smile:

Next year we aim to be better prepared to a live one, and have dates marked in advance!

3 Likes

This is a huge shame but thank you both @afdy and @Melanie_Tellwright for trying so hard to make this happen. Josh’s initial idea was a great one and I really hope it happens next year and becomes a regular event. I am sure we are all very busy on our campaigns for the next week but I will check here if anymore questions get posted and try to respond in good time. I would like to take this opportunity to wish my fellow candidates the very best of luck. It takes a lot of courage to stick your head above the parapet and try to make a difference for our community, thank you to @Josh_Constable and @ACulley for the engagement and for keeping things civilised. Lisa

3 Likes

Which is the way it should be - we may be competitors, but we are not enemies…

I echo the above - thanks to the team on this forum for trying to make it happen. Now we know who is around, we have a good chance to make it very decent next year, get a month’s notice in and organise it before postal votes go out ideally.

2 Likes

Thank you to @ACulley and @LisaCrosher for running a clean campaign. I am frankly disgusted by the continued actions of the liberal democrat party in Central Ward and in my view a campaign filled with so much lies and a total unwillingness to turn up for real debates is proof that this administration is rotten.

When hard working people like @afdy and @Melanie_Tellwright put in the effort to try and facilitate a debate every politician should jump at the chance to attend. Embarrassing for an incumbent party and I sincerely hope they get a thrashing at the ballot box on Thursday, they deserve nothing less.

4 Likes

@Josh_Constable and @LisaCrosher I have enjoyed it actually. It been good to have a few civilised exchanges on here without the bile.

At the end of the day, we present our points. Up to the electorate to decide what they want of course. Whatever they want, I respect the result. Then we shake on it (or is it elbow on it now?) and look forward to the next one…if I have failed it because I have failed to make the argument/to cut through…

We all want the best for our area and our country, even if we have different ideas re: what that means. Never any need for personal guff - if it happened to me I’d just ignore it anyway - reflects more on the sender than the recipient. Be robust on the party front by any means, I am a believer in free speech after all…

Enjoying a pint in the country now. If either of you ever fancied a cold beer in the sun after this is done, I’d happily get a round in.

Good luck on Thursday, may the best team win as they say!

3 Likes

Absolutely @ACulley @Josh_Constable I think having a chat with you both over a pint sometime would be very enjoyable indeed. See you at the count!

4 Likes

Hope myself and @afdy are also invited for a pint Lisa :blush::blush:

3 Likes

Yes, of course, @DazzaRPD too! I will look forward to Alex letting us know where and when!:beer::beer::beer:

1 Like

All invited.

I was actually just at the Dog & Crook. It’s a little out of town, but very pleasant when the sun is setting. Very ‘old England’ if I may say so…but I love old England myself…

Possible venue?

2 Likes

I have just asked Wayne Irish and no one has ever asked him to take part in hustings - so this is very unfair criticism.

Wayne has also been poorly and has only been able to telephone canvas - very poor attack on an old man that doesn’t read this forum so didn’t know about hustings.