Eastleigh Election Hustings

Chris Greenwood’s email address is on EBC website. Perhaps we should email him and ask for info? And invite him to Eastleigh Online - I’m happy to do it if you like?

1 Like

In the interests of fairness, are you sure that’s what he meant?

I must admit that my GCSE science is a bit rusty, but I think the original poster meant this:

This can indeed be environmentally harmful:

Some smelter slags represent a significant environmental hazard (12/98).

What I am not sure about is whether this is actually a by product of bronze production, I always thought it was from steel…although I am certainly no metallurgist.

Maybe…I just don’t have much faith based his previous social media activity (as said some deleted). Here are 2 more Tweets which weren’t deleted. Very open to John backing them up.

1618815394461_1618815370236_1618815214347_Tweet

1618815233758_Tweet2

Actually, having thought about it and re-read it, it seems entirely possible that you’re right. On that basis I’ve removed my original post and apologise, I wasn’t aware that there was another meaning for the word. Obviously there are still those Tweets which were found during an Eastleigh Neighbours discussion on Facebook during the Brexit days. I generally archive everything which is why I still have them.

2 Likes

Update

Someone at the University responded to me yesterday saying they are going to refer to the relevant person(s), but that they think it will be too late to stage this now.

Will come back once I have the final answer.

3 Likes

I brief chatted with @Melanie_Tellwright this morning, although its late in the day we both figure better to just go for it as there really is nothing to lose and it helps improve on what’s possible next time.

Who?
Hampshire County Council, Eastleigh North seat candidates that accept:

• Conservative, Lisa Crosher
  • Hampshire independents, John Edwards
  • Labour, Josh Constable
  • Lib Dem, Tanya Park
  • Reform, Alex Culley
  • UKIP, Chris Greenwood

How?
Any suggestions on how you think it should be run (as this is as community-run effort and we have no pre-conceptions!).

After reading the guides my rough suggestion on format is that we poll the community for questions in advance (here and from social media).

• (5 min) Introduction from Moderator
    • Overview what viewers are seeing.
    • How we will play fair.
    • How people can get involved.
  • (5 min each) Candidate introduction
  • (60 min) Question Time
  • (1 min each) Closing statements from candidates

Unsure at this time whether we would want guests to watch live, and ask questions in real-time. Though this may be better it may also take more time to prepare! There’s a balance with the time we have available.

When
Can you confirm you’re free on Thursday 26th April this week at around 7pm @ACulley @Lisa @Josh_Constable @TParkEastleighN @John_Edwards. I’ll try to reach out to Chris Greenwood separately.

Anything that helps increases voter turnout has to be a good thing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds good, although could we do next Tuesday?

I also think questions should be submitted on chat, with moderator selection so as to what gets asked to maintain order/flow.

We could look to slip into next week but figured best sooner than later so people have findable materials when they attempt to research who to vote for.

Yes, but very short notice - candidates also need to fine tune their positions on various topics to ensure informative.

• Thursday 29th (sooner - likely best for voters)
  • Tuesday 4th (later - likely best for candidates)

0 voters

Not sure that question would pass Electoral Commission Guidance if it were a real referendum - it is loaded with a suggested answer :wink:

Massive thank you to Adam and Melanie for stepping up to organise this, even at the elventh hour would be great to have a proper hustings.

My preference would be a format that allows cross talk between candidates so that we can get into some proper debate and not just soundbites! Equally happy to follow the format used at the 2019 general election hustings (ie. question time: question put to each candidate, with a minute to answer).

On the date of this, my preference would also be for some time next week or at the weekend. But if this isn’t possible I’m sure I can make myself available.

3 Likes

Cool chatted to @Melanie_Tellwright more today, and we’ve agreed Tuesday 4th at 7pm.

Format / timeline so far will be roughly as above.

@Josh_Constable I like the idea of more cross-talk between candidates, and capping talk time at 60 seconds for each answer to avoid 1 person accidentally gobbling all the airtime.

After a few trials we’ll use zoom rather than teams as it is better equipped. We’ll also try to stream the event live on youtube or Facebook (a couple more trials required before we commit). Once completed we’ll upload the video to youtube.

Should be fun - looking forward to it! Thanks for engaging and being interested in working together guys!

2 Likes

Thank you both for organising it. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

You could advertise it on Nextdoor too…

Good idea, I will post it there and on the Eastleigh Online facebook page (1.8k followers), and share it in the Eastleigh Neighbours facebook group (16k people). Although that’s a lot of people, most do tend to be turned off politics so it’ll be interesting what the response is. :slight_smile:

Brilliant news, thanks again all! Are all candidates confirmed in attendance @afdy @Melanie_Tellwright ?

I will also share from my social media and that of Eastleigh Labour Party.

not yet, they may need longer than 1 hour notice. :wink:

Of course was just a curiosity on my part!